High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

laura*elli
son

2585 days ago

What would you do?

After several years of shooting, I've finally started selling my work and shooting events. Recently I had someone ask me to take pictures of her granddaughter. Having never done this kind of a job before, I'm unsure how much I should charge. I've tried looking into what studios in my area charge, but they don't list their prices on their websites. Obviously, since I'm not as experienced as a someone in a professional studio (though I can hold my own), I wouldn't be charging what a professional would. I'm pretty sure I have my print pricing taken care of, but I'm not sure what I should charge for taking the pictures, editing them, etc. Any ideas?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Ankou
2584 days ago

If I were you, I'd call the studios in my area and tell them you're pricing some studios for some pictures you want taken.  smile  This way you can get a rough idea on what they would charge.  Make sure to find out what their fee all includes - if part of the fee includes a basic image pack then you'll want to know what that all includes.

www.lowcows.com - You know your business, we know the web.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

geowulf
2582 days ago

Do what Ankou said and then charge more.  If they are asking you to do photos because they love your work, then they will pay the price.  If they are asking because they think they will get decent photos for real cheap then they will complain and say they can get them cheaper somewhere else.

Here's why I suggest this: Some 'budding' professionals hear an offer of MONEY and take what they can get just to say, "someone paid me to do this!"   Others (the true professionals) understand that their images are desired because they have a special talent or skill that others are willing to pay that little extra. 

I'm not saying charge them a thousand per photo.. but just that little extra.

Besides, if you undercut the local bread and butter photographer, you are just hurting the whole photography industry as a whole.

Just my 2 cents.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1408644072.5392 seconds