High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

1 2       

Insomnihac
k

1411 days ago

iPhone 4 + macro/fish-eye lens

Silly me went ahead and purchased both the macro and fish eye lenses for my new iPhone 4, without properly reading the FAQ!

The problem as mentioned on the website (if I had bothered to read it before purchasing!) is that the adhesive ring to attach the lenses covers the iPhone 4's flash.

I was wondering whether anyone else here uses these lenses with an iPhone 4, and whether you have found a solution for this problem? It seems that a slightly larger ring (so that it surrounds both the lens and flash without covering) would solve this problem.

Anyway, any tips would be most appreciated. The lens work fantastically, but if I have to manually attach the adhesive ring each time to use them, then that is a massive hassle and kind of defeats the purpose of their ease of use and portability sad

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

DannyD
1377 days ago

Hey i just got those lenses for my iPhone 4 and how do i make them stick to my phone!? lol please help! much appreciated

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

DannyD
1377 days ago

if you recently found a better way of attaching them w/o having to manually attach the adhesive ring each time to use them..

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

RollsUp
1377 days ago

http://forum.photojojo.com/viewtopic.php?pid=46332

My Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Insomnihac
k

1377 days ago

Hey guys, just letting you know the best solution I could come up with my iPhone 4 and these lenses, was to attach the adhesive ring to a case (rather than the shiny glass surface of the iPhone) and cut a section in the ring (resulting in an adhesive ring that is shaped like a C) to expose the flash.

The only problems I've found with this solution are:

1. Because you're removing roughly a third of the surface area of the adhesive ring, it loses grip and can eventually just fall off, as has happened to me twice (luckily I had some spares from another set).

2. The ring is magnetic, so likewise given you're removing a third of the area of the ring, the magnetic force holding the lense is reduced. This can result in the lens falling off the phone if you move it to quickly (it's only just hanging on).

Other than that the lenses are great, and work beautifully with the iPhone 4's great camera.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

bruceb17
1376 days ago

My two cents:

You don't have to cut off 1/3 of the ring. Just cut off just enough to expose the flash. On mine, I estimate that about 80% of the ring is there. Enough adhesion and magnetism to keep everything secure. Best tool for cutting the ring I found is a big nail clipper.

I also have a protective film over the back glass of the iPhone 4. Therefore, if more adhesion is needed, I suppose I could use super glue to attach the ring to the iPhone.

BTW - these wide angle and fish eye lenses work great on webcams.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Insomnihac
k

1357 days ago

"You don't have to cut off 1/3 of the ring. Just cut off just enough to expose the flash. On mine, I estimate that about 80% of the ring is there"

That's true to an extent. I only cut off a small amount of it at first too. However the shiny metal ring can actually refract light from the flash to the lens,  resulting in areas of the picture blooming in brightness, or being being more washed out that usual. Try the same indoor photo with flash on, with and without the ring attached and you'll see what I mean.

The easiest way to solve this is to remove enough of the ring so it's not near the flash at all. Another option might be to paint the metallic ring black so it doesn't reflect light.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

jquig99
1356 days ago

I was able to mod the ring with small, sharp pliers.
Here's a photo: http://forum.photojojo.com/img/posted/img4cd6078f78f9f.jpg?url=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1429/5153047452_bf51696c14.jpg

I also use a ZAGG screen protector for the iPhone4 - not on the actual touchscreen, but on the back and sides (The sides help the reception).

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Keberly Ph
oto

1331 days ago

Works like a charm! I trimmed my Zagg screen protector down quite significantly. The lenses hold firm even with the slight mod to the ring mount.

http://forum.photojojo.com/img/posted/img4cf6709fd1100.jpg?url=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5223450249_b048760eb5.jpg

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

jquig99
1331 days ago

BTW - if you email the awesome Photojojo team, they'll tell you how to get extra rings wink

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

TheBobBlog
1295 days ago

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_I5_sgOIUyIg/TSYRzvI8PcI/AAAAAAAAD1k/S421qWgh92M/s1600/Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-01-06%2Bat%2B1.51.23%2BPM.PNG 

I created a simple solution using a suction cup and a binder clip, works like a charm.

More photos here: http://the-bob-blog.blogspot.com/2011/0 … s-for.html

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

lightcomma
stix

1283 days ago

Are these lenses compatible with the front camera, as well?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

FredSchuck
1194 days ago

@TheBobBlog, you are a genius. Thanks.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

madsastorp
1086 days ago

can you put it on a cover?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

taketimean
dfind

1085 days ago

The lenses I ordered just came in today, the only problem I am having is when I unscrew the macro/wide angle lens, the macro lens only produces a blur? Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve? Also, should all the lenses produce a vignetting effect?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

vballchick

1082 days ago

@taketimeandfind  on the macro....its all blurry when you put it on the phone but when you use it you have to get REALLY REALLY close to the object that you are taking a picture of.....like closer than you would think! GOOD LUCK!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

taketimean
dfind

1081 days ago

thanks..love using these things

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

easy-macro
1052 days ago

Not sure if I'm out of line here, but there is a dedicated macro lens for cameraphones that doesn't require taping/gluing anything to your phone and it's small enough to keep stashed in your wallet.  easy-macro.com  Best solution I know of.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

lens42
989 days ago

I was disappointed with the macro results from this lens so I made my own. You can 3D print it at Shapeways. It uses a nice glass lens that cost's $4 from Surplus Shed. Almost no barrel distortion. Check out the ruler shot in the link - unedited and uncropped right from my iPhone 4.

Edit: Link removed by moderator

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

wyandavids
on

980 days ago

Hello all.

I also have a protective film over the back glass of the iPhone 4. Therefore, if more adhesion is needed, I suppose I could use super glue to attach the ring to the iPhone .

All  your comment for iphone development are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

1 2       

Home

Page generated in 1406252037.3824 seconds