High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

1 2 3       

geofffox
2291 days ago

Over the past few weeks I've started playing around making time lapses.  I am using a Canon 300D and EBay intervalometer.

Here are some samples:  http://www.geofffox.com/lapse/time-laps … e-shot.php

I'm anxious to hear feedback.

Geoff

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2291 days ago

They look good, Geoff.
when you say the second one is jerky, do you mean the trees moving or the slight strobing effect?

I like the robotic pedestals in the bottom one. Our cameras are on ordinary dollies...
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

kureinha
2291 days ago

I agree, they look good, Geoffox.  Nice work.  You're not shooting full M are you?

I thought the cloud shot was actually pretty smooth seeing you have dramatic light changes and tree movement.  Luckily, the clouds are the focal point which are pretty smooth.  They have a little jerk.  Maybe play them back at a faster speed & your 4sec picture interval (I think is causing the cloud movement to jerk--minor pt) will be less obvious.  However, I like seeing the subtle changes in the cloud edges...

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

geofffox
2291 days ago

Ben - the cloud's movement seems to jerk at a few points.  I am wondering if a few frames might have been missed.  That might be because my card can't keep up - I'm not sure.

Yes, I am shooting in full manual mode.

To me, most other time lapse video looks like it was shot with too large an interval between shots.  The clouds move too quickly and, as kureinha  pointed out, you miss the subtle changes.

Time lapse enables you to see rhythms and interaction that's impossible to see in real time.  It's impossible to see if the lapse is too fast as well.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2290 days ago

I think the effect would be caused by either dropped frames or rapid changes in the lght.
You can test for dropped frames by finding out how many pictures there are, and working out how many there should be. Check the time in the EXIF data on the first and last files, and work out how many intervals fit into that time.
If you come up with less images than you should, you've got dropped frames.

What resolution are you shooting at? You don't need any more than the lowest setting, and the 300D should keep up with that on a 4sec interval without any problems at all.
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

kureinha
2289 days ago

I use the 300D and almost exclusively shoot at higher res pics.  It does lag and may have missed pics at the interval you set.  However, you might be able to pull it off at lower res.  Ben-s's idea of counting off pics and looking at time stamp will reveal the mixed pics.  I rarely shoot pics faster than 30 sec but have had problems with cameras (digicams mostly) when pushing to take high resolution pictures faster than 20 sec intervals.  The interval really depends on your goals and the rate of change of your subject.

If you speed up the playback speed e.g. from 30 f/s to 60 f/s or faster then it might be less noticeable.  Sometimes I shoot at too fast a rate and drop pictures manually prior to making the movie.  However, I think QT is essentiallly dropping pics when you tell it to speed up the playback speed.  Video editting programs will probably offer you the greatest range of playback speeds.

If you speed it up then it might be harder to see the detail on the fringe of the clouds though.  So you might be at a cross roads on how best to proceed. 

There are some video editting plugins that help remove flicker (search for deflicker).  GBDeflicker has a nice tutorial explaining sources of flicker.  Some nikon users blame it on electronic aperature.  I read a solution is using older lenses with an aperature ring to fix the aperature.  I've read that when the camera attempts to electronically stop the aperature at fixed settings it can be slightly off between shots creating flicker...

This is the only freeware solution that I know to correct flicker but haven't tried it yet.
VirtualDub MSU Deflicker filter- http://compression.ru/video/deflicker/index_en.html
You'll need VirtualDub and the Deflicker program.  I've been meaning to try it but just haven't had the time (or desire to learn yet another computer program).  I was hoping a plugin for PS existed but haven't found one.  All the plugins seem designed to interface with video editting programs.  Someone more clever than I could probably create a droplet or some other batch processing to correct flicker in PS.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

mta87411
2169 days ago

I love that Ollie Larkin has a problem with milapse's stuff being all over the internet!  Sounds jealous that his spam comes in 2nd...

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

willbl
2162 days ago

Here's my first high definition time lapse taken with a Canon EOS 5D + 16mm lens at 3 fps.
http://www.vimeo.com/1581690

Will Burrard-Lucas | Blog, Facebook, Twitter

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

noct12
2042 days ago

re Canon and Nikon intervalometers, just got one ex ebay from Linkdelight for my Nikons, unit looks good and is made by Aputure. I have been using their remotes for a while and I will find out shortly if this one is as good as the others I have been using. $79Aus post free seems good value to me.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2041 days ago

noct12; Sounds interesting, I'd like to know how you get on with it.
I have the Canon one, and it took ages to get hold of it.
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
2031 days ago

My son found this article/time lapse film. It is pretty good! Thought you all might enjoy it. Tells what equipment he used--pricey for me but enjoyed the time lapse.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol … ?series=45

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

voyicks
1233 days ago

That is such a great idea for a time lapse shot! I was thinking about how time lapse could be used without needing to make a video and this is a great example.

Aside from the three posts here, do you know of any other neat shots like this?
“Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.”
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Nathan 200

1199 days ago

I've loved this photo since I first say it last year but I wanted to try to find my own way of coming up with a time lapse photo or at least one that captured a sense of time passing. My approach was very different but here's what I came up with.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/5605001030_cc95d7dff9.jpg
10 Seconds at Grand Central by Nathan 2009, on Flickr/

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
1199 days ago

I like it, Nathan!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

1 2 3