High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

tatia
971 days ago

Digitally faking analog roughness

hello y'all smile

i just had this kind of weird diy inspiration and i'd like to know what you guys think of it.
you know that typical roughness of analog photos usually caused by a well-worn/dusty/scratched lens?

well, if I had to jot down a list of characteristics of analog photos vs digital ones, that would defo make the top three, so I was thinking of ways to copy that somehow (without having to scratch, dust or otherwise damage any lens on purpose, that is!).

And I came up with this: what if i took a piece of cellophane, rolled it up in a ball, kept it in my pocket for a while, than stretched it out and wrapped it over the lens?
Kind of like a handmade art filter.. sort of XD

Do you think it'd give anything even close to something like this? -> http://bit.ly/xTCoTT

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

mirum
971 days ago

Hello tatia

When I go for the rough analog look I do one of the following:

Option 1 (simpler):
Shoot with a very high ISO 1600+ even in daylight, that adds a lot of natural grain

Option 2 (more fiddly bits):
Make these changes while post processing. If you are using Lightroom 2/3 it is probably the easiest. In Develop Mode increase the size, texture and frequency of the grain and it will start looking pretty gritty. As far as streaks and scratches go (thinner white lines on your example image), you might just want to take a VERY thin eraser to your photo and re-create them.

If anyone has better ideas about this, I am all ears!

Cheers

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tatia
971 days ago

i'd be more of an option 1 girl smile i try as much as possible to achieve the look i want straight from the camera (that includes in-camera art filters. even tho i prefer getting creative -as the weird cellophane filter proves LOL).

i used to own a pentax k-x (which had in-camera random xpro. loved that one).
just recently swapped it for a ricoh gr digital iv cause it pretty much has everything i loved in the k-x but it's waay smaller and less noticeable.

and with the grd, grain is not really the issue if trying to get a filmy look.

Using an eraser to get the scratches sounds good, but that's still post i guess, innit? smile
whereas using a filter would still be sooc, i think..

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Chanticlee
r47

970 days ago

Hey tatia

High ISO is a great option for adding grain as you're taking the photo.  The eraser trick for scratches seems good.

You can use software to create those analog looks, too.  CameraBag 2 has an Analog Engine to help with those effects.  Under Adjust > Photographic, you can add grain and discolorations.  http://nevercenter.com/

Good luck!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
970 days ago

Why not give the cellophane a try? I think it would mean you'd have to stop down and it would add blur, and you might not like that.

There are a few other options though.

You can shoot ttv (through the viewfinder) of an old tlr. See here: http://www.russmorris.com/ttv/index.html

You could try scratching up an old filter.

You can add textures in post processing. You can buy or download free textures, or you can make your own. I.e. take a photo of a concrete wall, put it on top of your photo in something like photoshop, play with the layer styles and opacity. There are lots of tutorials online. You can search for them.

If you search for "ttv texture" on flickr, you'll find several. Just make sure the photographer is okay with your using it. You can expand the texture if you want so the frame doesn't show or so that it's rectangular rather than square.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
970 days ago

There is a group on Flickr that shares textures that you might want to look at. http://www.flickr.com/groups/textures4layers/

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Great Beyo
nd

969 days ago

The problem I have with just bumping up the ISO and calling it a day is that JPG noise looks so . . . well, fake to me. It's not at all organic like film grain is. It just doesn't compare to the atmosphere you get when shooting some Kodak Tri-X 400. And then if you blow it up, instead of the smooth range of natural colors, you get distinct patches of red and green in your blue sky.

If you're looking to get the grainy toy camera look with as little out-of-pocket as possible, I'd throw 20 bucks at a Holga and get some cheap 120 film. Total expenditure? Probably 30-35 bucks developed.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

rachy95
968 days ago

I'm not sure if this is the type of things you are looking for, but apparently this is good?

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/08/us … le-photos/

You are supposed to use Vaseline on a clear filter for your lens, just around the edges, to give a "vintage-feel" as the website says. Hope I've helped smile
“Stare. It is the way to educate your eye, and more. Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long.” – Walker Evans
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tatia
943 days ago

thanks everyone!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1412099473.4566 seconds