High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

gabiwabi
2339 days ago

How to Block Mount Photos

Hi all,

I guess in the "digital age" we view out photos on PC's,Laptops and Apple TV's etc...

I wanted to go back in time,and mount my best photos on a wall using a technique from the 80's...Block Mounting!
Does any one know how to block mount photos on a Powder Coated block,or similar surface?

I would welcome any inovative ideas,to mount photos onto similar surfaces.

Many thanks,

Gabi

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2339 days ago

How's this: http://photojojo.com/content/diy/photo-blocks/ ?

If I was going for completely DIY, I think I'd make my block, finish the edges nicely, and then mount the photo using spray adhesive.
I've found 3M's "Craft Mount" to be good for this sort of job - but make sure you get the photo in the right place, as it's not really repositionable.
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

gabiwabi
2339 days ago

Thanks for the reply Ben.I did see this solution some time ago.I guess I am looking for something a little more professional, in terms of the backing itself. Something like MDF with Powdercoating.
I cant seem to find any information on the net in terms of Powdercoating other than companies who charge a lot of money to do it for you.Cheers

Gabi

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2339 days ago

I don't know how you'd go about powder coating an MDF block... It's usually only done on metal, by heating the metal up and dipping it into a vat of powder that's being moved around by compressed air.

I think I'd be inclined to finish the edges of the block with a router and give them a blast with matt spray paint.
Then I'd cover the edges with masking tape before attacking it with spray adhesive and mounting the photo.
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

gabiwabi
2339 days ago

This is what I am looking to do.
http://www.photo-block.com/

Any Ideas on how?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2339 days ago

According to the product info, it's made from standard 18mm MDF board, but I really don't know how they're coating it.
As I say, spray paint would give you a similar effect - you'd probably want 2 or 3 coats to do the job properly.
The hanger in the back looks like a 10mm hole drilled part way through the block, so you can hang the thing on a nail.

To get the best results, you might want to print the photo slightly oversized, and trim it with a sharp knife after you've mounted it up.
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

gabiwabi
2339 days ago

Thanks for all your suggestions Ben,I might look in the Perth Yellow Pages for a firm that does Powdercoating of MDF as I have seen the results.and it is very profesional.

Cheers

Gabi

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2339 days ago

Google to the rescue! I've had a look and found out how MDF is powder coated.
It seems that this is a new process... It's basically the same as normal powder coating, but uses special low temperature powders so the board doesn't catch fire smile

The board is preheated in an oven.
The powder is given an electrostatic charge and sprayed on to the board which is oppositely charged.
The charged powder sticks to the board which then goes through an oven to melt and cure the powder.
Evidently the longest part of the process is the cooling - MDF is quite a good insulator and takes ages to cool down so it's safe to handle.
It looks like a good process.

Good luck with finding a coater, and let us know how you get on smile
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

susie
2307 days ago

Hi Gabi, I'm Susie from www.photo-block.com.  Great to see you want to give block mounting a go yourself, did you know that we sell our base blocks ready to go?  Please get in touch through our site if you would like pricing.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

gabiwabi
2307 days ago

Thanks Susie,I did try to access your web site,but it does not seem to be live at this point in time.I will try  the weekend.
Cheers

Gabi

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

yo5bdm
2307 days ago

@ susie - Do you deliver in Romania too? (Eastern Europe). And if you do, please tell me the prices for delivering. you can contact me if you want at the following email: yo5bdm (at) yahoo (dot) com
Intuition is an exact science! http://erdeirudolf.blogspot.com/
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

aidey100
2156 days ago

Hi Guys, i am wanting to block mount a poster and give it to my friend for their games room> The poster is 1000mm by 500mm. Rather large!!! I need some assistance on the best way to do this. Is it hard to DIY? Thanks

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2156 days ago

Have the block cut in store - they will make a much neater job of it than you could do by hand, unless you are a very skilled woodworker.

It will be very heavy if you use solid MDF, so go for as thin a substrate as possible, or consider making up a frame from battens with a piece of hardboard or thin MDF tacked to the front.
You will also need to arrange a strong mounting system to hang it on - what you use depends on the type of wall you're hanging it on, but weigh the finished thing and chose an appropriate fastener.

I suggest you use a slow setting or even repositionable adhesive  to avoid mistakes mounting a large poster like yours.
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
2156 days ago

Aidey -- perhap you really want the wood, but I believe there are types of foamboard (much lighter) that might be nice for this as well.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1419308283.5722 seconds