High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

alicia954
2477 days ago

Stock photography and/or related sites?

A while back, I thought about getting into stock photography, but never did much about it.  I visited the site http://istockphoto.com/index.php  and looked at their guidelines and even took a test!  I still don't think photos are up to the quality they're looking for, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience selling their photos?

http://aliciakachmar.com "I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." -William Blake

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

AJL3Photo
2476 days ago

I've done a little stock photography with not that much success. You actually have to check what the popular images at the time are or what type of the season it is to have success in that industry. I suggest you try bigstockphoto.com it might help. They are good to work with if your just beginning.

- A J
"Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives."
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

xstevex
2476 days ago

Ive been seriously considering it so I try to network with other pro photographers and magazine editors , Ill check out that link anyway , pays to look around , I have had some good feedback on some live concert photos but everyones out there...and really I wanna have the time to devote to it ,  family,  working full time ,and all that comes first......

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

alicia954
2474 days ago

Thanks AJL3, I'll be sure to check it out.

I think I'd want the time to devote to it too, xstevex, and from the looks of the pricing, it doesn't seem like you could make too much $$$ unless you really did devote time to submitting a lot of photos.

http://aliciakachmar.com "I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." -William Blake

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

xstevex
2474 days ago

yea Alicia , I have a friend who does it full time and shes done some high profile musicians , CD covers, live shoots and says she makes very little , but I love it and its all about the passion for something....if I get paid its a bonus;)) and sometimes it gets me into free concerts.......

xs

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2474 days ago

I was on the point of trying out for a stock agency when I started shooting a lot at work, so it's kind of fallen by the wayside.
For the most part, I'm happy being somewhere on the boundary between pro and amateur.
One thing I have been considering lately is making cards in the darkroom. I already make them for the rest of the family to use, so I might approach a few "gifty" places with a view to small production stuff.
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

xstevex
2474 days ago

Not a bad idea ben-s , sometimes ya just gotta find a niche , something everyone else isnt doing and that aint easy..

xs

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2474 days ago

xs: and how!
My thought was that not that many people are crazy enough to have a darkroom, and even less are happy to routinely make 100 small prints of the same thing, and then fold said prints in half!
On the flip side, people generally like a "real" (as opposed to inkjet) b&w print.
Et voila! a niche smile
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

xstevex
2474 days ago

yeah and dont forget to charge a lot , ppl think its better whe they pay more , well in the states anyway , try different paper stocks and finishes ....good luck

xs

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

schnookems
2473 days ago

alicia954: I don't know whether my advice will help or not, but I thought I might share smile
I'm actually a contributor at istockphoto.com. I had a look at the images you showed as an example, and your 'two peas in a pod' are a different idea, but I don't think they're stock material.
The foamy thing (the 4th image) is a little dark, so you would need to check your lighting or play around in photoshop
And the power lines, I'm not an inspector, but I don't know if they would accept it with the pole/tower in shadow.

The best way to think about taking photos specifically for stock, is "how/what would I use this in a design?"

As I said, I don't know if this will help, and it's entirely up to you what you want to do, I thought I might share my inspection experience at istockphoto.com

smile

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

marggg
2473 days ago

Would anyone be willing to satisfy my curiousity? How much do stock photo folks pay for an image?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

danielgilb
ey

2472 days ago

@OP
My advice (FTIW) would be to check out the various stock sites & if you have the time to commit to producing a sensible quantity of 'stock' images then it can be very worthwhile. Lots of people do it solely for the bit of extra income it provides (lens fund, or an excuse to buy new equipment).
It can become addictive though, so be warned :-D

Drop by my site sometime. . .
www.shotwithlove.com

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

half_a_wor
ld

2471 days ago

What about just putting up your pics on sites like Flickr or Webshots? Does it result in people contacting you to purchase your images?

BTW, please don't click any of the stuff in my sig, I don't know how to get rid of it. :p

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

photogmary
2469 days ago

I'm a contributor at www.dreamstime.com and, with 73 images uploaded, I am just about to reach my first $100 payout - it's taken 2 years. (I've already gotten a $100 check from www.shutterstock.com) If you really want to make money, you have to contribute dutifully, and understand that many uploaded images might be rejected at first - you must read the posts about getting rid of noise, etc. Also, it takes 3 days or so for your images to be looked at, so you can't be wating around to see, you must keep on uploading except at first, when you really need to find out if you're on the right track. You have to search to see what's already there so you aren't adding images that they already have too many of.

The best sellers often have people in the shot, generally speaking. Of course, you have to have signed permission forms from anyone with a recognizable face in your shot and you have to upload those permission forms when you upload the image. They have the forms for you to download.

You can check out my gallery there at:

http://www.dreamstime.com/Oddshots_info

Good luck ........Mary

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

alicia954
2466 days ago

Hmm, all very interesting. 

Schnookems, I didn't actually submit the photos that appeared above...those just appear underneath my post because they are the latest pics in my flickr stream.

I remember that a lot of the shots the istockphoto site wanted weren't what I usually shoot.  The proverbial nature shots (sunsets, flowers, etc.) are out because they have enough of these.  And, I don't take a lot of photos with people in them, which photogmary, you mentioned a lot of top sellers include.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

alicia954
2466 days ago

Oh, half_a_world, if you don't register/log-in with your flickr account, those pictures won't appear at the bottom (your signature).

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1398267745.0754 seconds