High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

1 2 3 4       

Marleymax
1785 days ago

Okay, now I know I can do this if Jamie Livingston was able to take a Polaroid every day for for 18 years!

Here's the blog I stumbled across: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/15131

And here's all the photos: http://photooftheday.hughcrawford.com/

Come to think of it it'd be lots of fun with a Polaroid camera too!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

rodia
1784 days ago

And expensive... yikes I'll stick to my digital, thanks, even though 365 can wear that out, too. wink

My blog, my portfolio, and my prints for purchase!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
1783 days ago

A nice post on Shutter Sisters about working through a 365 project.
http://shuttersisters.com/home/2009/12/ … t-365.html

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

puffyheart
design

1781 days ago

Great Beyond, great tips. This thread has totally inspired me to join in on the fun.
I'll start my 365 project Jan 1, 2010 smile

Project365 | Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Tracy Clar
k

1776 days ago

Thanks so much for the advice/comments!  I'm on Day 19 today.  Yes, it is a daunting task but I'm having a great time.  It's also amazing how many people follow my pic a day post on facebook.  One day I didn't post a pic, instead I decided to post three days worth.  Everybody had a cow and wanted to know where the pic a day was!  I've now got in the habit to post daily which really is not a chore as most people get on the computer daily anyway.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
1776 days ago

So, it's not just taking a picture a day, it's pposting it somewhere, as well ?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

swintime
1776 days ago

I tried this project last year. I took a picture a day from Jan. 1, 2009 till  around Aug 4, 2009 but after that I sorta stopped taking pictures on a daily basis. I made the mistake of trying to take good, artsy pictures each day and not just pictures of my everyday life. I may try again this year and I won't make the same mistake again.
Flickr
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
1775 days ago

Good luck Tracy, puffyheart, and anyone else who goes for it smile

I've done it through 2009. It's been both great and it's driven me round the bend sometimes looking for something, anything to shoot for the blog; I decided to do as good a photo as I could manage, not just pictures of the desk, out of the window etc. While this was more difficult, it's quite a high to say I'm close to finishing a year in photos I'm pleased with
I had problems running out of fresh, acceptably good photos to post, particularly when we're really busy and/or stressed out at work, but finding time to post isn't really too bad.

Only 11 more days to go!
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

rodia
1775 days ago

Well, you don't have to post them anywhere, tufteach, but it's a lot more fun if you do. I also find it much more rewarding than not showing them to anyone- then again I make all of my photos public, so I could just be skewed that way.

My p365's are a mixture of everyday life, travel journals, and last-minute shots tongue I don't worry too much about taking a less interesting or bad quality picture every now and then, but I do try not to do it two days in a row. I tend to think of it as I would of a slideshow or book- it can afford a boring photo every now and then, but if there are too many grouped together the imaginary viewer will lose interest.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

mikeinspai
n

1775 days ago

Well done to those that have completed the 365 or about too..   

I myself will be starting tomorrow and I have a site setup which is http://project365.me/.  The site is still in its infancy and is populated with some images to get me up and running, but it will all happen from tomorrow proper!

Please swing on by sometime soon as I would dearly love some feedback and all the encouragement/help I can muster.  :-)

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
1775 days ago

Good luck mikeinspain! I think I will be starting January 1 and using my flickr account.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

mikeinspai
n

1774 days ago

thanks superd...  my pics will also be on my flickr account as well, but thought it wou ld be good to try and keep it separate.  After reading thru some other posts, comments and some sites that you mentioned in this thread, i'm gonna try real hard not to put too mmuch pressure/emphasis on the picture quality, especially if it has a good/proper story behind it..

Here Goes!!!!!!!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
1774 days ago

Mike, make sure to link to your project in your sig line!

Great Beyond, I think I'm going to print out your post and put it in a few key spots to encourage me.

Has anyone tried shuttercal (http://photojojo.com/content/websites/p … calendars/). I'm considering uploading to them as well.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

mikeinspai
n

1774 days ago

will do superd..  1st day today - www.project365.me

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

rodia
1774 days ago

I tried shuttercal very early on when it started but because I was already uploading to flickr and two blogs it just became tedious to repeat it for Shuttercal. It was lovely while I was still there, though, they're very friendly people from what I can tell.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
1774 days ago

Looks good Mike!

Well, my daughter convinced me to start today, since it's the first day of winter and I keep complaining how hard it is to keep taking photos during the winter.

I'll definitely do a set on Flickr. I think I'll just add them to my regular monthly albums on Picasa though, instead of a separate album there. I'm considering trying Shuttercal and seeing whether that's worth it to me.

Anyone keep their 365 on Facebook, too? I'm wondering if there's any point to that, and whether the extra uploading will just drive me crazy.

The first time I did this, years ago, with  my point & shoot, I tried very hard to upload my photo every day, or at least no later than the following day. I'm going to be a little more lenient this time. I'm just going for getting them up within the week. I also hope to do the full 365, but getting through the winter (until the first day of spring) is my primary goal.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
1773 days ago

I was thinking of doing mine on Flickr, maybe facebook. I'm with you--uploading every few d ays will have to do.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

rodia
1773 days ago

Flickr flickr flickr. I would personally give a big NO to facebook for two reasons.

One is that their privacy policy towards user content is really muddled and its conclusions are unpredictable. Though my pictures are, in practice, worthless, I don't want to hand them over to a company whose privacy policy I just don't trust. FB has way too many hidden and opt-out settings. They've been known to use uploaded photos and user icons for their advertisements without asking. Right now for example I'm experiencing an odd problem- though all of my content is set as 'Me Only', friends have told me they can still see everything that I post after clicking a link on my wall. This is not strictly photo-related but a good example of how untrustworthy facebook is- you think you've set something to 'private' and it remains public. Not good.

Two is that the way their engine resizes photos for the albums is really rubbish, it compresses the jpegs in an ugly way. They're not a first-choice photo hosting service, they're a networking site, keep that in mind, so also your photos will likely never be their priority.

What you can do to keep your FB friends up to date is set it up so it draws from your flickr's RSS feed. Whatever I post to flickr automatically shows up on my FB wall as 'Madzia posted x photos to Flickr' and a link with some thumbnails.

From my experience, posting to more than one blog ends up being exhausting and annoying, even though it takes seconds to do it. What I do is I upload everything to flickr, tag and put it in a p365 set, then I hit 'Blog this' from the menu above the photo. Take a moment to set that one up, on flickr, it lets you define a template for sending the photo to your blog. Mine sends the photo(with a link back to flickr, of course), the title, and the description, and I just have to click two buttons. Very convenient.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
1773 days ago

I'd agree with Rodia, facebook are flaky with their t&cs where photos are concerned.
If you use a public site like Blogger or Flickr (or your own site), more people can potentially see your work.

I have the flickr to facebook link app installed, and it works well if sometimes slowly.

People with links in your signature:
You can make it easier for other people to click through by turning it into a real link as follows:
Go through edit your preferences to your signature line and add the following tags (the bits in red) round your URL:

<a href="YOUR URL HERE">LINK TEXT HERE</a>

so mine looks like this:
<a href="http://bens-photo.blogspot.com">Photoblog</a>

Due to a bug in the form, you'll probably need to re-upload your avatar after you do this.
(When you've re-uploaded it, don't press submit, and you'll be fine)
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
1773 days ago

Thanks Rodia & Ben! I think I won't do Facebook. I just set up that feed from Flickr to Facebook, and I'll see how it works.

Off to update my sig link.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

1 2 3 4       

Home

Page generated in 1414690063.4587 seconds