High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

Matt Merce
r

2289 days ago

Replacement for 6 AA batteries?

Good day folks,

I find myself often using my camera at events, shoots, and at home in somewhat stationary positions. I have a spare cartridge that takes AA batteries I am willing to sacrifice for this little experiment.

I am looking to drill a hole in the side, and run a power adapter to it. the idea is to replace the batteries, and require them to be charged fewer times + allow for longer shooting times. (Especially good for time lapse!)

Can anyone recommend a power adapter to wire in?

If it helps I have a Canon XTi with Canon battery grip, but I find myself using an after market grip more often due to added features.

Cheers,
Matt

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2289 days ago

Just get the Canon AC adapter kit.
It has a dummy battery with a wire that comes out through the little rubber flap thing by the battery door.
I would suggest that this is safer than wiring an off the shelf adapter into your camera's AA pack.

However, if you do decide that you want to homebrew an adapter, get a high quality stabilised and regulated supply, which is unlikely to cook your camera.
You need to check the voltage on the battery (IIRC, it's 3.7V, but please check it yourself) and make sure your supply puts that out cleanly and consistently. It may be wise to get an adjustable supply, and set it with an accurate meter.
When you hook it up, there is the (hopefully) obvious proviso of ckecking voltage and polarity thoroughly

[nanny mode]
A bit of a disclaimer; I'm an electronics geek and I always think VERY carefully about putting homebrew power supply equipment near a piece of kit that I:
a)paid a lot for and
b)wouldn't like to be without.
[/nanny mode]

Basically, what I'm saying is, yes, you can do it, but IMHO it's not generally worth it when the proper Canon kit costs about a hundred quid.
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Matt Merce
r

2289 days ago

Only problem being I want to just remove one cartridge, and replace it with the powered one. I don't have a spare for the batteries, and fiddling with it to get it by the plastic flap will be a pain in the butt.

Know of any good brands? I'm looking to pick something up off eBay preferably.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

fogfilter
2289 days ago

Make a batteries pack out of D cells. Put in a small bag and carry over your shoulder.

Larry
Keep a low profile and work within the confusion.
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

fogfilter
2289 days ago

This is where the magic happens.
Keep a low profile and work within the confusion.
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

skydvr
2288 days ago

Matt - want to sell the canon grip? :-)

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2287 days ago

Matt,
I've just re read your original post, and I'm not quite sure what it is you're after...
I originally thought that you were trying to feed power into your XTi through a wire, possibly via a modified AA cartridge.... am I on the right track here?

Having looked at your second post, I wonder if you're looking to put high capacity batteries in the cartridge?

If you're looking to power the thing through a wire, I don't see how it's any more difficult to use the canon unit, as you've got to get a wire into the battery compartment anyway...

Sorry if I'm being block-headed here smile
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1397808767.1726 seconds