High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90┬░ Periscoping Lens More →

EmThree
2463 days ago

The GIMP

Just curious if this is anyone's photo editing program of choice.

You can check out everything I've done here:
http://megamanexev3.deviantart.com/

Check out my Flickr!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

jfg69
2462 days ago

After using PS for so long, The Gimp is not my friend!. I dont feel it is intuitive enough, there are things I can do in minutes that seem to take me forever to do in The Gimp.
After switching to Linux last June, I was very disappointed with trying out the Gimp. I ended up back using PS7 in Wine or Crossover.. so I guess my program of choice is PS!
On another note, I use LightRoom for raw images, which I like a lot.

j.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

EmThree
2461 days ago

I've never gotten PS and I've started with GIMP< so no way I'm switching.
I've got all the PS filters I need and all the brushes I need. tongue I use Windows anyway, I don't think it's right to torrent Photoshop, nor to buy it for myself as I can do everything I need in The GIMP.

Just my 2 cents.

Check out my Flickr!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

jfg69
2461 days ago

Ive been using PS since PS5, so a little harder for me to get accustomed to Gimp. I've seen people do some really amazing stuff in both programs, so I wont knock it- I just prefer what I know. (Except for linux, which I still dont REALLY know, but love!)

My PS isnt from a torrent, it was purchased quite a while ago. It works OK, but I prefer the later versions for the improved functionality.

jfg69

BTW- awesome job on that Dark Side Of The Moon wink

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

EmThree
2461 days ago

wink Thanks

Check out my Flickr!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Matt Merce
r

2461 days ago

I live in a vector world, and cannot seem to find my way in the Gimp. Many people swear by itů I just do not see the beauty. To all their own!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

jude
2461 days ago

I've used both but since GIMP is free it's my software package of choice. I'm so glad they finally made the brush sizes fully adjustable and the new RAW processing tools they've included are great. I agree it takes a bit of getting used to (particularly when some of the web tutorials out there are for older versions with menu items in the wrong places) but with a bit of practice I've been able to do everything I ever wanted to do in photoshop with GIMP.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

EmThree
2461 days ago

Yeah, GIMP can't vector well sadly. I use Inkscape for that tongue

Check out my Flickr!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ben-s
2461 days ago

I use both. And Paint shop pro too.
CS2 is my main weapon of choice, but I quite like PSP, which I've been using since V4.
I have Linux on one of my laptops, so that runs the GIMP.

I haven't yet found a RAW processor that suits me any better than Canon's Digital Photo Professional, so I use that for reading RAWs.
I saw a demo of Apple's Aperture a while ago, and I thought it looked fantastic. If it it was available for windows, I'd buy it today. Sadly, it's Mac only, and as I have no intention of using a mac for anything I'm not forced to, aperture will have to stay on the shelf.
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. ~ Website ~ Flickr ~ Photoblog
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Mykal
2460 days ago

Gimp all the way. I've used PS plenty in the past. If I had my way financially I might choose PS but since Gimp is free and does everything I need I can't complain. By the way, it's just "Gimp" now...not "The Gimp."

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Dave-G
2459 days ago

Anyone know where to find a good online tutorial for Gimp? I can't get the help function to work, and it's a drag quitting in the middle of a project to look up instructions for the specific thing I'm doing on the web.
I downloaded Gimp about a year ago - would it pay to delete the version I have and go for a later one?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Mykal
2459 days ago

@Dave: I would definitely grab a new version. They have added new stuff to it as well as bug fixes. There are some tutorials right on the Gimp site. You might also want to check out www.meetthegimp.org as there are videos showing functionality of Gimp.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Dave-G
2459 days ago

Hi, Mykal,

Thanks much. I'll definitely check this out.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

BIGbacon03
2434 days ago

Yeah, The GIMP was the first program i used and now i dont think i'd ever go to PS. and when i find tutorials for GIMP i went to createblog.com but they dont have much.. so maybe just google it? aha

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Jaqian
2431 days ago

nikon.wes
2431 days ago

I couldn't imagine giving up my CS3...I have also used PSP for some projects, but i can only handle some things differently...I prefer Photoshop over the Gimp....And I use Adobe Lightroom for my RAW...I just wish i had a mac so i could use aperture
http://www.flickr.com/wesjoyce
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Jaqian
2430 days ago

I wish there was some equivalent of Bridge in GIMP.
Shoot first, ask permission later.
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

nixsidhe
2430 days ago

I just can't get GIMP to work for me. I downloaded it when I switched to my mac and didn't have photoshop anymore. I can definitely see myself handing out the cash for PS.

You bring everything you are and ever were into every relationship you have today. -- Fred Rogers.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

rekanize
2428 days ago

I'm not anti-GiMP, but I can't say I'd ever be pro-GiMP either.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Ankou
2428 days ago

I like and use both The GIMP and Photoshop (and other apps as well).

At work I use mostly Photoshop - because that's what the designers use and if they need to check something out I hate having to answer, "Why aren't you using Photoshop? What is this program?" and so on.

At home I'll use both but mostly end up using Photoshop simply because I have various scripts I wrote to do a lot of the work for me. I'm sure The GIMP does has that as well but I never really got around to playing around with it.

www.lowcows.com - You know your business, we know the web.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1414139385.8500 seconds