High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

sunflowers
shine

505 days ago

How to create a black and white silhouette outline?

I want to take a regular photograph of a person's silhouette and turn it into a stylized black and white portrait. Here's an example image that I found on google, just in case the explanation was unclear:

http://forum.photojojo.com/img/posted/img50be52f0e52c2.jpg?url=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eSkacRgol30/Sw9XWOMfdjI/AAAAAAAAAhM/NPQssyPX2yQ/s400/create-silhouette-portraits-200X200.jpg

I don't have photoshop or any professional editing program, just the basics that come with a Mac computer. I've tried googling this, but nothing helpful turns up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
505 days ago

First you need the right photo  -- start with an actual silhouette against a plain background. Set your subject against a wall and put a lamp between them and the wall. so they are lit from behind but what you see is in shadow.

I don' t know about basic mac software, but I'm not sure you'll be able to do it there. If you learn things quickly, try downloading the GIMP, a free program, and learn how to do it there (it will be complicated). Otherwise, I'd recommend attaching the photo to a piece of black paper and cutting by hand.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Great Beyo
nd

505 days ago

I know that on some photoshop-ish programs, you can change the color bit rate from 64 bit full color to like 2 colors and get a very similar effect. It's a bit indiscriminate, but pretty close to what you are looking for.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

gs_790
504 days ago

I could be underthinking the technique.
Take your picture against a solid color background.
Use an area select tool to highlight the entire background. Now invert the selection. The selected area should be the silhouette, and you can recolor it however you like.

You can always have a go with Photoshop Elements for 30 days before you are required to supply a registration code.

Or you can get Gimp and http://gimp.org
Picasa
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
504 days ago

gs 790---that's how I would do it.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home