High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

tufteach
1121 days ago

SPAM! Yuck

As a moderator I have been deleting a ton of spam lately. This weekend alone, maybe 3 dozen posts. They usually appear in number of different threads. It is getting to be a real pain! However, spammers, I will persist as I am sure my fellow mods will do, as well.

So, fellow mods, are you also removing a lot of spam or is it just my timing? I also ban the users who post in multiple threads or those that are obviously spam.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
1121 days ago

Hi TT, yes, I am also getting rid of a lot of spam.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

jannz
1121 days ago

Yes - me too.

I love my Sony A350.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Degilbo
1121 days ago

Just as a matter of interest, there is an old spam message in the voting thread Apple vs Sony (218 days ago). Posted by vertical_throne.

“Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. – It’s already tomorrow in Australia” :-) Charles Schulz

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

jannz
1121 days ago

Thanks Degilbo - have deleted it now.

I love my Sony A350.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
639 days ago

Ridiculous amounts of spam happening right now. What do these people get out of it? I can't imagine they actually get sales?

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
638 days ago

They are at home workers who get paid for the number pf posts they are able to make. Found yhis out when I was looking for online work. So, I ban them, as well as deleting. Sure, they can set up another acct., email, but maybe they won't.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
638 days ago

I just don't get it though -- does anyone actually follow these links? Is it worth it to these companies to post these links because in the end they actually make money off them? I don't see where the money is coming from.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ajax
638 days ago

There are many gullible people out there, and they wouldn't waste their time doing this if it didn't work... Look at TV commercials and how much money is spent to get people to buy junk.. Everything from what they eat, to fad diet plans that don't work.... People eat it up and waste billions a year getting ripped off and falling for this crap... Its very profitable.

When we tug on a single thing in nature, we find it attached to everything else. John Muir

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Great Beyo
nd

638 days ago

I don't see where the money is coming from.

Its not so much about selling to us (although the occasional click through probably does happen), but getting links EVERYWHERE so the Google algorithm locks onto their URL and boosts their standing in the searches. It seems to roll out right at midnight, so I seem to be on west coast patrol. I just wish PJJ would install a - Christ, even a Captcha verification would slow them down. We don't even have that - any boob can click two buttons and spam us.

And since we're about the photos (in theory), here - have some spam!

http://forum.photojojo.com/img/posted/img512c0f094e6ff.jpg?url=http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3436/4002485048_bde59b2de9_m.jpg
Day 281/365 - 40 Years of Monty Python by Great Beyond, on Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Marleymax
636 days ago

Spam, spam, spam, spam... (Sorry! a bit of Monty Python there...) GB's pic made me think of it! Good one GB! Ha!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Gwendeanne
635 days ago

GB, funny shot, and you just happen to have it.
There was a local band in Dallas in the late 1980s early 1990s called Spam. They became pretty successful.  The Spam company forced them to change their name. I wonder what would have happened in this day and age with Spam associated with unwanted emails and used to commonly.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
635 days ago

Great Beyond, perhaps you could bring that up with the PJJ people. They might be able to do that for us. They might say no, but there's no harm trying.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

gs_790
635 days ago

Some kind of captcha on the registration page would go a long way to weeding out the bots. I have absolutely no idea how much work it would take to implement, but google looks like they have a lot of information on how to implement human verificaiton in the developer help pages.

https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/php
Picasa
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
633 days ago

It's up to the Photojojo people. I wonder if they can do something similar to what they do when you send an e-mail to "contact us" ("which one's the camera?").

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Great Beyo
nd

574 days ago

Did someone say SPAM?

http://forum.photojojo.com/img/posted/resized_img5180932a6e304.jpg?url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8531/8678741183_44dc9bcf16_c.jpg
Day 082/365 - Spam by Great Beyond, on Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1416978908.4378 seconds