High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

PittCaleb
587 days ago

Looking for great book on dSLR photography

I last used my SLR (35mm) a decade ago.  I loved it, but with kids and digital, it's sat dormant for over 10 years.

I have the Nikon D7100 on pre-order and should be getting it at the end of the week.  Also grabbed a Tamron 17-50 and Nikon 70-200, both very fast for action sports photography.

Let's presume I've forgotten most everything I once knew abotu SLR photography and know nothing on formal dSLR photography, but am a quick learner and this stuff makes sense to me.

Looking for a great "definitive" book to purchase and walk-through to get the most out of my investment.  Thoughts?

PittCaleb

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
587 days ago

I have this field guide for my Canon and it has been a constant reference source. Well organized, fairly simple to understand.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D7000-Digit … d7000+book

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

PittCaleb
587 days ago

Thanks for the referral - my local camera shop has these field guides, but obviously not the 7100 version yet.  Glad to hear someone else recommends them.  Put it on my "wishlist" for future purchase.

Based on some research this afternoon, I ended up ordering the following which should be in hand middle of the week:

David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography
Busch, David D.

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Peterson, Bryan

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
587 days ago

I have Peterson's book---excellent. Thought perhaps you were looking for something camera specific.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

PittCaleb
587 days ago

I think to start, I need something more general on dSLR photography; then something more specific to this model, which being released just this week, won't be on the market for a couple months.  What I really need, is to find a good class at the local community college and just endure the parts I know, being open-minded that I'll learn something by the end.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
586 days ago

Those will both be good books. When I was starting out with my DSLR I also got a lot out of the Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1414238128.0107 seconds