High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

tufteach
503 days ago

Fine Art Photography

I hope some of you will join me in this thread. I woud love to see the art you are creating using your photography.

The thing I enjoy doing most with my photography is creating art pieces. Besides my 365, that's what I will now focus on. So, you may see some in my 365 project.
Feedback appreciated.
In this piece I used the pods from an earlier 365 post. I played around with them and this is what I ended up with.
Texture by Doug Landreth.

I need to calibrate my screen as the colors are different when posting and a little too dark.

Click on image for better view.
http://forum.photojojo.com/img/posted/resized_img51410089c436c.jpg?url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8238/8554950743_1b8d9e120d_b.jpg
2013 72/2013 Pods by tufteach, on Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
502 days ago

Nice!

I have trouble, however, understanding what counts as fine art photography.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
502 days ago

superdewa
There are many, many different definitions of fine art photography. My personal definition is taking what I captured in the camera and creating what I consider a piece of art by manipulating the image, in what could end up being in many different ways--adding textures, other images, manipulating contrast, colors, etc. until the image is what I envisioned. It is an ongoing learning process for me.

I see much of what you do as fine art because you have your own unique style that I love.

Most of the pieces I have sold went way beyond SOOC.

Ultimately, as with beauty, art is in the eye of the beholder.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
502 days ago

Thanks, TT! I never post SOOC -- I don't really "believe" in it. Even my scanned-in film photos are straightened, cropped, cleaned up (dust removed), sometimes color corrected, contrast added, dodged, burned, etc. RAW requires some editing, even if it is auto editing by whatever software you use, and JPEGs are edited by your camera, whether you realize it or not. I'd rather be the one in control of my photo editing, so I shoot in RAW and process.

However, I have come to understand, over the last few years, that my photography fits better into a stock/lifestyle/editorial category than into something people want hanging on their walls. I never set out to do commercial art, but the stock agencies and graphic designers seem to like what I do more than people looking to decorate their homes.

I think it's great that your pieces are selling and that you are working on your fine art portfolio.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
498 days ago

superd, I, too, shoot RAW and post process my images. To me, those are still considered SOOC unless i start adding or taking away to change the image.

Here's another artistic endeavor. Comments appreciated.

Click on image for best view.
http://forum.photojojo.com/img/posted/resized_img5147c7d52b0c3.jpg?url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8569774743_03f22e51dd_b.jpg IMG_3908 by tufteach, on Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

kdrake1007
498 days ago

I don't know, superd, there are some of your pieces that I would definitely hang on my wall!  I love so many of your fence shots, but I think I like your "kitchen" ones the best, like your food set.

TT, I love that last one!

Project 365 }-{ Pbase

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
498 days ago

Thanks!

TT -- I really like the quality and the processing, but I am somehow really confused by the angles or something. I can't not see that head as upside down, and it is confusing which direction it is flying. Maybe if you posted it larger I could see/

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
498 days ago

Superd, you aren't the only one! Once it was pointed out, even I had trouble with it. I guess because I was there, I saw it as it is meant to be--rightside up. Its beak is pointed straight up as he just took off. Also, you can see its feet curled under him. I think I will work on it some more and see if I can make the image more clear. Thank you for your feedback.

PS: I would love to see other people's art pieces posted here.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
497 days ago

This article just came up in my reader. I thought it might be interesting to you:
http://virtualphotographystudio.com/201 … otographer

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

gs_790
497 days ago

Bump

There's an M.C. Escher quality to that image that just keeps forcing you to look again to make sure you saw what you thought you saw. The distressed look of the print only ups the quality that makes you double-take.
Picasa
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1406711128.7693 seconds