High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

grazinav
528 days ago

Need Advice on Selling Photos

Hi Photojojo-ers!

I'm working on building a community where photographers of all skill levels can sell their work. I was wondering if you had any advice or thoughts on what types of features would be useful - or what you wouldn't want to see on this type of platform. If you have any thoughts on this I would love to hear what you are thinking!

Cheers!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
528 days ago

My question for you is what are you trying to achieve that is different from other sites out there?

Right now photographers of all skill levels can sell their work on etsy, fineartamerica, smugmug, photoshelter, society 6, redbubble, shootproof, deviant art, zenfolio and a host of other sites, each with their own take on selling.

Do we need another site? Maybe, but I wouldn't even know where to begin answering a wide open question like that.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

grazinav
527 days ago

Well, I come from the side of someone that needs all kinds of random images that don't really exist for purchase right now - most commonly well composed photos people take every with their iPhones. So that being said, I guess I was looking for any kind of features that would make you feel great about selling pictures that you take. Competition? Choice of compensation? Interesting image needs? I hope this helps.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
527 days ago

Do you mean similar to stock?

Something I could see as helpful is a reputable go-between agency. I sometimes get random requests to buy my photos on flickr, and I'm sure the same happens with iphone photos, and I'm never sure whether the person requesting the photo is trustworthy, and I have a really difficult time knowing how much to charge and what the conditions should be. I happen to sell stock with Getty Images, so I usually just say "go through them," but I could be making more money by doing the sale directly. It would be great if there were a  trusted agency that could handle those sorts of random sales and gave the photographer a high percentage of the sale.

The way I see this is that the site would handle payments (maybe through paypal) and would also have pay scales and legal documents for photographers to put together their own sales and licencing packages easily. A blog with articles about things to think about when selling and about taxes as well as some fun stuff would be helpful, as would a user forum where people could get help from others. Some worksheets and even some mentors, possibly available for a small fee, to help people decide how much to charge for a photo based on all the different factors (location, skill, size of photo, where it will be used, how often it will be used, web, print, etc.) would also be helpful.

Something like this would make it easier for photographers of all levels to sell and might also help educate them so if they grew they could eventually go on to run a successful business with what they'd learned on teh site.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

grazinav
527 days ago

Thanks for the help! This is so valuable to me smile A lot of these things are things I have been thinking about, and of course are not doable for an initial launch, but it's good to hear confirmation on some of the thinking as well as new ideas. I want to make sure that it is a fair/great place for everyone involved (aka everybody wins!) If you think of anything else share away!

Cheers!
Grazina

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

Home

Page generated in 1409458536.7565 seconds