High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90¬į Periscoping Lens More →

1 2       

Great Beyo
nd

482 days ago

No Sir, I dont like it. (AKA Nu Flickr)

After playing with the new interface, I've got to vent on how badly they've fucked up Flickr:

* It's too cluttered.
* You cant pick your cover photo from anything more than about 100 pictures previous. None I've taken look remotely good in that long, skinny format.
*  Where are MY photos? I liked seeing the last couple of pictures of mine front and center on my account. While I like other people's photos, it's MY account that I'm here for. I don't care what comments they just got.
* There's no context to my contact's photos. I can barely make out what the picture is that's being commented on.
*  So you're giving everyone unlimited uploads and (essentially) unlimited drive space. I'm not exactly sure why I'm paying for my Pro account?

Just a little bit ago, I was trying to find a photo I'd shot 3 or so years ago in my photostream of about 3,500 photos. In Old Flicker, I'd scroll to the bottom to where the page numbers were, go "Oh, it was about - lets try page 17" and jump back and forth playing hotter and colder for a few moments. Easy Peasy

Now, I cant ever seem to get to the bottom. Its a constant, always loading stream of stuff that I cant sort through. I cant find the damn sets, the EXIF data is gone, I cant send mail to contacts (a process that used to be a very simple system) and I'm not seeing my messages and comments on MY photos. I could give a rats ass about my contacts and the traffic on THEIR photos. Whats happening on my stuff?

Flickr seems to have forgotten their initial mandate: be an awesome platform to share photos.

They're so busy trying to play catch-up in the social media game (and face it, even if Flickr handed out solid gold bricks to every single user, they will never catch Facebook) that they've forgotten to do the stuff it was conceived for. I tried giving it a fair shake, but I'm getting mighty close to pushing the "give me a refund" button.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
482 days ago

Agreed! Add this to the list of, "What the....!" Adding photos to sets and groups. I had to go to the Organze page to do do. Am I just dense? Also, where the heck is the drop down that used to have te EXIF data and other actions??? I think it sucks and is not just a matter of getting used to the new format. I may add more to this rant later.

EDIT: I was just reading some info on Flickr and came to the conclusion there is no advantage to having a Pro account. I think I want a refund for the time remaining on my pro account!

EDIT 2: No prorated refunds!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

RollsUp
482 days ago

Tufteach - You'll find the EXIF info in "Additional Info" click on "(show_more)" then the exif numbers for more data.

Sets are in the "You" menu, GB. And I can see the comments on my photos. I guess having a slow internet has some advantages, I can see and click on the page numbers on the bottom of my photo stream. smile

I haven't really made up my mind on the new layout but, it's mostly on the "I don't like it" side.

My Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

RollsUp
482 days ago

Hmm... I think I'll stick with my current Pro status for now. My reasoning is that I get an ad free, stats, unlimited space and no upload limit with my pro account. The new free option has ads, no stats, a 1 tb limit (yes, it is huge) and if I remember correctly a 300 or 350 mb upload limit per month. I've read of some people already hitting a 300 mb limit on their uploads for their new free account. Time will tell if my subscription will stay at $25/year though.
Collections and Sets are one of the perks of having a pro account but flickr didn't say anything about them in their description for the free account.
Tufteach - If you opt to downgrade to a free account you are eligible for a prorated refund.

Someone on the flickr forums posted this link.
http://i.imgur.com/ZL0HpnE.jpg

My Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

RollsUp
482 days ago

OK. Some of the things I wrote may be wrong. That's what I get for staying up late.

The New Flickr: What it Means for Flickr Pro Users
http://mashable.com/2013/05/20/flickr-pro-changes/

My Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
482 days ago

For me, the jury is still out.

I have some small problems with the looks, but overall I do like seeing the photos bigger, I love the way my own photos look in my photostream, I LOVE the way my sets look. Doesn't bother me that the main page is other people's photos. I just go to my own page to see my photos.

I don't love the cover photo, for the reasons GB mentions, but no big deal -- I can go out and take the right photo or find an older one on my hard drive and stick it in my stream about 100 photos back and use that. I wouldn't be surprised if they fix that, anyway.

What I dislike most is that I upload small res files on purpose. I'm happy to look at high-res photos, but I upload small res files as a measure against theft. I sell photos as stock, and who's going to buy them if they can find them for free all over the web? The controls that keep people from sharing and borrowing my photos also keep blogs I like from reblogging my photos. I'd rather just upload smaller. The new flickr is pushing for high-res photos, and my small photos don't look good in that high-res space (on large monitors). I honestly don't care for most phone photos that my contacts take (sorry everyone, but it's true), and now they are looking especially bad in my stream.

I really wish I could hide the photos I don't feel like looking at in my contacts' streams, but I wished that with the old flickr, too.

I have always tagged my photos really well so I do not have a problem finding old photos -- I thought you did the same, Great Beyond?

Overall I like it, and the things I don't love I have a feeling I will either get used to or find a way of dealing with or they might change. I've had trouble finding things, but once I've found them, I've felt they were actually in better spots than they used to be. Just takes getting used to.

Regarding pro, To me, stats and no ads do matter. I use adblock software so probably won't get ads anyway, but they may find ways of sticking them in. Stats matter less to me these days, but they still matter.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
481 days ago

Tufteach, you'll see three dots toward the right of most pages/photos. If you click on those, there are a lot of options, including adding to groups and sets when you are on your own photos.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
481 days ago

Thanks all for this informative feedback! I may have spoken too soon on some stuf--will have to slowly fo through everything. It was a shocker to open Flickr yesterday. Were we prewarned?

Rollsup--Pro accounts are no longer available for purchase. For $49 you can get an ad free account and for $499 you get the doubler acct-2Ts of space.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Gwendeanne
481 days ago

Superdewa,
I agree with your statement:
I really wish I could hide the photos I don't feel like looking at in my contacts' streams, but I wished that with the old flickr, too.

I have a contact, she keeps RE-posting her photos if they donít get enough attention. I talking like a day or two after the original post.  Unfortunately, people do start commenting after her re-posts, so what are they teaching her.
Iíd dump her as a contact, but she lives nearby and wants to get together, so she will notice and I donít want to have to explain. Iím trying to live with it, it seem petty. But I wish flickr would put an X on the photo so I can mute it.

Has anyone noticed the maps are gone, or am I wrong.
Iím not sure I like the black background on all my photos.
Iíve noticed on the sets itís difficult to read the name of the set.
If anyone likes the old look of their photostream, one thing you can do is, click on EDIT on the top and it shows somewhat like the old flickr, so you can bookmark it. Itís a good way to ease into the new flickr too.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
481 days ago

This is going to be a hot thread while we learn more about the new Flickr. I read the article Rolls up referred to above, The New Flickr: What it Means for Flickr Pro Users. It answered several questions for me, especially about the advantages of keeping my pro acct. Renewals will still be given at the $25 price. That's the big advantage of keeping pro acct. And, no ads , plus stats will still be there.

Has anyone found if there is a way to control the size of images on ou photostreams? I liked being able to select smaller size in order to go through my stream quickly,

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
481 days ago

Tufteach/Rollsup -- If you have a recurring Pro Account, you are grandfathered in. See http://thomashawk.com/2013/05/how-flick … -walk.html

Gwendeanne, the way I deal with that is by keeping people like that as contacts but adding everyone I want to see regularly as a friend. That way I can keep people as contacts and go through my contacts' photos from time to time, but I can set things so that only my friends' photos come up automatically and I can look through just my friends photos, when that's all I want. Back when I was getting explored regularly, I added everyone who added me as a contact back, and it got really unmanageable, so I started doing the friend thing.

It looks like you can still add to a map. Whether you can see them on someone else's photo -- I haven't been adding to maps, recently, so I can't check on mine.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
481 days ago

I think we cross-posted. What do you mean "our photostreams"? Do you mean the main page? If that, no.

If you want to see just your contacts' photos, go to the top: Contacts/Photos.

If you want to see your photos, also at the top: You/Photostream

You can also go to You/Recent Activity, if you want to see something closer to the old main page.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Great Beyo
nd

480 days ago

"Has anyone found if there is a way to control the size of images on ou photostreams? I liked being able to select smaller size in order to go through my stream quickly"

Try adding ?details=1 to the end of your photostream's URL. So it would look like flickr.com/photos/tonyjcase/?details=1 (with the WWW nonsense in the front, of course.

I think the biggest complaint I have is that the front page is taken up by other people. Not that I dont mind looking at you're guy's work or anything - but comments and views and activity and whatnot on my stuff used to take center stage on the flickr home screen. Now I've got someone who I commented on 6 months ago, a photo that I glanced at for 10 seconds that has been comment whored out ever since. I don't give a rats ass about him, yet that's the photo that I get the updates on the most.

The unfortunate part is that the whole damn interface is designed to appeal to tablet users. It's like everyone in Silicon Valley are suddenly entranced by the ZOMGTABLETTOUCHSCREEN phenomenon. So the new design has lots of wasted space on making big buttons, poor text layout, and makes it difficult to actually manage your own pictures.

I imagine that there will be tweaks and adjustments to come in the next couple of weeks - so I'm not quite giving up yet. I've put too much effort into this to throw it out at the first sign of trouble.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Degilbo
480 days ago

My first encounter with the Nu Flickr happened a couple of days back when I clicked on a link in a webpage to view the writer's photo link. When his flickr page opened, my first thought was how did he get that "banner" across his page. A few minutes later when I opened my Photostream, I realised that something new was afoot :-). Actually, after spending some time initially "sorting it out", I must admit I quite like the presentation now. All the "old stuff" is there, it is just a matter of exploring the links on the page or on the images. Great Beyonds "?details=1" suggestion works perfectly to reduce the size of images, if that is what you need. The "EXIF" details of any image can be revealed by clicking on those three little dots in the bottom right hand corner of any image. As for using the Map feature, there is a whole lot of discussion here:
http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/721576 … age+to+map

The full screen view of an image is awesome to say the least! Well, on my 27 inch screen that is :-). But I do think I am going to grow accustomed to this new look and enjoy seeing all your photos (as usual) on Flickr.

ďDonít worry about the world coming to an end today. Ė Itís already tomorrow in AustraliaĒ :-) Charles Schulz

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
480 days ago

I don't like it but I'm resistant to change anyway so maybe someday I will. I just don't have time in my life right now to learn it or read articles about it, etc. I have to work and stuff and, when I get home, reading about Flickr is not what I want to do. I just got a new camera I can barely turn on so now I have to learn that PLUS Flickr. Ugh, I resent that it is infringing on my personal time trying to navigate it. If I could get a pro refund, I would, but from what I read above, that's not an option. I doubt I'll re-up, though.

Glenrosa Journeys * My 52 Project

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
480 days ago

Candace, You can get a prorated pro refund. Or, you can keep the pro account you have and renew it for the original price. This article posted by Rollsup gives details. http://mashable.com/2013/05/20/flickr-pro-changes/  The new Flickr may grow on me though my original reaction was, "I hate it!"

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
480 days ago

Great Beyond, go to You/Recent Activity. You'll find your old homepage info there.

Candace, I'm feeling like once I get used to it, it will be easier to browse and navigate. It feels easier to see a lot at once and quicker to flip through different photos.

The one thing that is really irritating me now is that I have to click on a photo to read the description, and I have to scroll down to find the description.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
480 days ago

By the way, have you all seen the new Google+ ? I have never gotten very involved there, but I really like the recent changes.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
478 days ago

Is there anywhere now where it still says "pro" if you have a pro account? I enjoyed seeing "pro" after my name since I'll never see it anywhere else smile

Glenrosa Journeys * My 52 Project

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Degilbo
478 days ago

It ("Pro") doesn't appear to be available anywhere but in the member's account details which can only be accessed by the member. I wonder whether they "forgot" it when re-writing the code? "Profile" too, I thought was missing. That can be revealed about a member by clicking on the three little "dots" (...) in the bottom right hand corner of the header on their photo stream page. A drop-down menu appears showing several options. I like to check profiles of any member who has added me as a contact, before I add them in return. Gradually getting used to the new Flickr and liking it more as each day goes by.

ďDonít worry about the world coming to an end today. Ė Itís already tomorrow in AustraliaĒ :-) Charles Schulz

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

1 2       

Home

Page generated in 1410753671.6235 seconds