High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

1 2       

RollsUp
573 days ago

Flickr dropped the "Pro" designation. Maybe because Mayer thinks that "There’s no such thing as Flickr Pro today because [with so many people taking photographs] there’s really no such thing as professional photographers anymore, (though she acknowledged that there are “different skill levels”).
Kinda stupid me thinks.

The one thing I hate about the new flickr is when I first sign in all the photos start to load, along with the photos in my photostream too. The first thing I do after signing in is to go to the You menu, click on Photostream then the Edit menu to get the "older" looking flickr. Most everything else seems to be ok I think.

My Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
573 days ago

Oh, I see re: the old Flickr look when clicking on Edit. I wonder if that's just around temporarily until they totally transition.

Glenrosa Journeys * My 52 Project

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
573 days ago

I don't get why Flickr would give up a revenue source thru pro accounts. Apparently the revenue will now come from a ton of ads? I can't imagine paying 50 smackers a year to just not see ads. So, for any of you without pro accounts, are the ads that distracting and annoying? I'd sort of like my pro-rated refund even though I have no idea what it is.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Degilbo
573 days ago

"Edit" will (or should) remain because members need to access their images to Edit settings, e.g. changing from "Private" to "Public" permission, adding a new tag, etc. As for fifty dollars a year it is more than double the current rate, but then it equates to just under a dollar a week. When I first joined Flickr our Australian dollar compared to the US dollar was very low, somewhere around 60 cents if I remember correctly. That meant my yearly subscription in Australian dollars was quite high. In recent years, our dollar has been above the US dollar so I paid a couple of years in advance. Now our dollar has dropped below parity with the US dollar, today's rate being one Australian dollar to 98 US cents. By the time I need to renew (late 2014) it may even be lower. If it is, I will have to give serious consideration to changing from "Pro" to "free". As an aside to this, I am carefully buying photographic gear now from eBay and Etsy before the dollar drops any further :-).

“Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. – It’s already tomorrow in Australia” :-) Charles Schulz

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
572 days ago

If you are already Pro, you will continue to pay what you were paying--for now, anyway, unless you cancel. I'm staying in to see how it goes. I pay about $25/year.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

RollsUp
572 days ago

This should answer most of the questions about having a Pro account.

I’ve heard that Flickr Pro is no longer being offered. How does that affect me?
http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150487675

My Flickr

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
572 days ago

Thanks, RollsUp. Well, mine renews in August so if I took the refund, it would be about 6 bucks so not much point in that. I'll decide in August what to do. Like others, I do think the full screen view is pretty cool. And maybe I'll get used to the other features also.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
507 days ago

Hmmm, my Pro account apparently is going to renew automatically on August 2 and I can't decide if i want it or not. Can someone who doesn't have a Pro account tell me how annoying the ads are? That seems like the only advantage for $24.95 a year.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
506 days ago

I don't know, Candace. I'm just going to go with it for now. I hate ads. It bugs me that when I send people to flickr to see my photos, they are seeing ads. Does paying for pro keep ads off my page for other people?

Now that I've had a while with the new flickr, I'm ready to say I don't like it.

I don't like the look. It's too busy, and I don't like that on regular pages and certainly do not like it when my photos are on the page. I do like the mosaic view, but there's not enough space between the photos. It's too busy.

I love when great photos from my contacts jump out at me when I sign into flickr, but more often there are meh or terrible photos jumping out at me. Sometimes they are downright disturbing. They are often from people I don't feel I can remove as a contact because we are friends, so I have to put up with them. I really hate crappy cell phone photos (not all cell phone photos are crappy by any means, but there are a lot), blown up and in my face. I wish that what showed up on the main page was more customizable. I wish I could at least hide a photo I didn't want to look at, like one can hide a post on Facebook. I'd love to be able to specify that I don't want to see cellphone photos taken by a particular individual, too, while I don't mind seeing camera photos.

I don't like that when I visit someone's stream, I can't see their descriptions without clicking on the photos. I'd like the option to see that or not depending on what I felt like with that person.

I am frustrated by all the little bugs that they ought to have figured out before they rolled it out. For example, In any group that has a long description and plenty of discussions, I can't get to the "leave group" button. So I can't clean out my groups.

I'm frustrated by how easy it is to end up in slide view by accident.

I really hate the yahoo bar at the top. It looks messy, and I keep clicking on it by accident.

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

gs_790
506 days ago

I started moving my photos over to Flicker. The main reason being that I'd get a nice easy url to give out. Of course, started means I got a screen name and looked briefly at the upload tool. I did get the same screen name over at 500px, so I'll take a closer look at their service in the next week or two.

Homepage:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalemulsions
http://www.flickr.com/photos/superdewa

looks to be no ads for free and paid; same in the sets and favorites tabs.

Clicked a picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalemu … 205857930/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/superdewa/9309521664/

Ads on the free user, no ads on the pro user. The ads, for the time being, are text... so giant flashing banner ads with sounds and pop-ups it a month or two. And from what I can see, it does look like the badging has been removed from pro accounts.
Picasa
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
506 days ago

Yea, I don't like it much either but I don't want to start over anywhere else...

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

1 2       

Home

Page generated in 1418936509.5613 seconds