High-quality lenses to help you go pro with your camera phone pix. More →

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
Shockingly detailed phone shots at the snap of a band! More →

The Glif
Minimalist Phone Stand & Tripod Mount More →

The Handleband Bike Mount
Your phone called. It wants a ride ... On your bike!More →

The ChargeCard
Fits in your wallet, so it's always there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. More →

Gorillapod Mobile
Works with every phone ever, even with a case on. More →

The Keyprop
The key to getting your smartphone to stand up for itself. More →

The Pocket Spotlight
Bright, constant light in the palm of your hand. More →

The Pocket Reflector
A Go-Anywhere Light Bounce! More →

The Smartphone Spy Lens
A 90° Periscoping Lens More →

1 2       

HeatherC
474 days ago

A Message from The Photojojo Team

Hi Photojojo-ers,

We have an important announcement to make today, and that is that we'll be closing the Photojojo forums this week. This was a hard decision for us to make, but we have noticed that participation here at the forums hasn't been as active as it used to be.

We're working to make Photojojo even better for our fans across the board, and part of this is focusing on where we see most of our fans interacting.

This doesn't mean the convo ends here. You can join in on all things Photojojo on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, and of course, our bi-weekly newsletter.

We're all ears on feedback, so we'll be checking back here and in our inboxes (http://photojojo.com/contact or heatherc@photojojo.com) for suggestions and questions. We care about you guys, and it's been amazing to see both friendships and creativity flourish here over the years.

xoxo,
Heather and The Photojojo Team

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
474 days ago

I would like to know it the threads will be completely removed? There are several I go back to often for help.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
474 days ago

That's too bad. I've certainly noticed things slowing down but I really enjoy some of the little games...Photo Scavenger Hunt, Alphabet Soup, Let's Play Word. I feel I have made some "friendships" here and, although I can find several of the people on Flickr, it won't be the same. I've bought several things from the pjj store through the years, a few pricey items, but it was the Forum that brought me here and I probably won't bother with the store anymore either...Adios, pjj.

Glenrosa Journeys * My 52 Project

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ajax
474 days ago

I am one who has not used pjj as often.. But it used to be a lot different than it is today. There used to be a lot more people sharing photos and sharing comments. As of late it seems that spammers have taken over and folks who just use it as a help desk, and never share..There have been a few that have remained loyal and are still here, but you can count them on one hand. And just like Candace, I will miss the friends, just as I miss the ones who used to contribute on a regular basis...

Tufteach, do you still take part in the weekend market (St. Helens, or Scappoose, I can't remember)? If you do I might have to take a drive north and introduce myself...

When we tug on a single thing in nature, we find it attached to everything else. John Muir

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Great Beyo
nd

474 days ago

Okay, here's what I said behind the scenes, reposted for public consumption:

Do I understand the unavoidable financial realities of the situation? Yes. A forum takes time and money and bandwidth to maintain, and left adrift in
a sea of penis enlargements and Gucci handbag knockoffs, it reflects poorly on Photojojo.

That said, I also think it's a bad idea. Being that it is the 21st century a web presence is invaluable. A new coat of paint, some love and attention
from the powers that be, a little advertising push (I mean, it's not even mentioned on the main page anywhere) and you could make this a thriving
community.

How to get involved? Well, aside from the powers that Be posting and getting involved in the discussions (you guys do like photography, right?
Come talk about it) - how about a parallel thread to whatever project PJJ has sent out that week. "Here's how you turn a vase into a photo holder.
Now lets see YOUR work!" Or how about a thread a chapter for the subjects in the PJJ book?

But yeah, if you guys are just going to let it drift on without a rudder (or really a captain or engine either), pull the plug and be done with it.

Now, one last point:

"You can join in on all things Photojojo on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, and of course, our bi-weekly newsletter."

While it's nice to have a social media presence and all, those are really just one way routes of communication. You hit the dispatch button, off the proclamation flies off into the aether. A forum is more versatile (try having 35 pages of Scavenger Hunt on Facebook) and allows more interaction both ways.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

tufteach
474 days ago

There are several of us who over the last couple of years have attempted to have PJJ "fix" the forum. We have offered our help, made suggestions for improvement and for how PJJ could be more involved. We were told that the powers that be at PJJ would "look into it" and see what could be done. So, we happily waited..., and waited, but nothing was ever done.

I understand that a business needs to make money. A big part of PJJ's success has been a direct result of the draw of the forum. Above, Great Beyond has made some excellent points that I agree with that make a great deal of sense. Come on, you guys reconsider this decision!

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

HeatherC
473 days ago

Re: I would like to know it the threads will be completely removed? There are several I go back to often for help.

Yes, everything will be removed completely. If there are any threads you often reference I'd recommend saving the information, or taking screenshots now so you'll be able to access them after the forums close.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Gwendeanne
473 days ago

Oh Poop, I just took a photo of a Z for the alphabet soup.

I will have to say, I've always thought that this forum helped PJJ as a business promote their store and newsletter.

This forum did help me learn about photography just from reading others' conversations, learning about new products and styles of photography. I found places to develop my film, where to order good quality prints, order square cards, and learn light painting. I found some new friends and enjoy looking at their photos. I wonder now, if I have a question, where will I go :-(

Great Beyond has a good point about social media. You just can't find the same interaction for games, or even simple questions. Plus the social media you mentioned above isn't a good place to post photos since you can retweet other's photos, and "share" a photo on facebook that doesn't belong to you, right click and steal it. And honestly I don't know about tumblr, but I know plenty of people have my photos from flickr posted all over their tumblr pages w/o asking.

Good luck PJJ in your future endeavors, and THANK YOU Moderators for your time removing spam.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

superdewa
473 days ago

Hi all. This forum saw me through playing with an old point and shoot to where I am now, which is a semi-professional photographer. I made lots of friends here, learned huge amounts, and always appreciated how friendly and non-judgmental everyone was.

Times change and things move on, and this end is sad but not unexpected.

I know I will still see many of you on Flickr, Google+, Facebook, Pinterest, blogs, etc., so this is farewell but not goodbye!

Flickr ~ Blog

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
473 days ago

Maybe we should form a specific Flickr group of old PJJ diehards? Some of you I can find but others of you, not so easily. Makes me sad...I'm on twitter (which I seldom check), FB, etc., but it won't be like this forum.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

don hodgdo
n

473 days ago

Sorry to hear this. Thank you to all who have participated on the forum, I've had a lot of fun sharing with you and have enjoyed the challenge of coming up with new and thoughtful images for the many threads here. See you on Facebook!  https://www.facebook.com/don.hodgdon
don - http://picasaweb.google.com/SB.Alfaholic
@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ajax
473 days ago

I like that idea Candace of having a Flickr group..

When we tug on a single thing in nature, we find it attached to everything else. John Muir

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
473 days ago

Good idea, Don, I just sent you a friend request:
https://www.facebook.com/candace.porth

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
473 days ago

Just made you a contact on Flickr, ajax! And you, too, GB. I'm already contacts with the other people in this thread. Anyone else that responds before the forum goes away, I will also make a contact (or FB friend).

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ajax
473 days ago

Thanks Candace.. I'm however not flickr savvy..What next?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ajax
473 days ago

And Candace, I just sent you a friend request, and you too Don.
www.facebook.com/danny.shiffer

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
473 days ago

Got 'em! But you're on Flickr, aren't you, Ajax? You mean about forming the group? I think it's pretty easy...but I'm sitting here hoping someone else will do it smile

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ajax
473 days ago

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

ajax
473 days ago

Is there anyone who would like to open a flickr group? Whoever opens it will also be the administrator..I am just throwing this up for volunteers...Laura, is this something you would be interested in doing? You have some experience at it with PJJ.. And we also need a name for the group..Any suggestions? Plus we can have a group open to the public, or open to the public by invitation only.. The latter would get my vote.

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Candace
473 days ago

Sounds like a good idea. I would certainly participate. What do you think, Laura?

@  Send to a friend
<a>  Link to this post

Want to reply?

Login or Register

1 2       

Home

Page generated in 1416716998.4564 seconds